• He/Him

30s || 🇧🇷 || Plenty of smut repost so 🔞|| Occasionally random thoughts and/or games

Last.FM

posts from @Adell tagged #video games

also: #videogame, #videogames

(article transcribed below)

Now that Baldur’s Gate 3 has been a huge success both critically and financially, people are looking forward to what’s next for developer Larian Studios. However, according to studio founder Swen Vincke, the future doesn’t lie with the Baldur’s Gate franchise or Dungeons & Dragons as a whole.

During a talk at the Game Developers Conference on Thursday (spotted by IGN and confirmed by Polygon in a video on the official conference TikTok), Vincke said that Larian won’t be working on any DLC, expansions, or a sequel for the game. It would be handing the IP back to Wizards of the Coast and moving on to unrelated projects.

Baldur’s Gate 3 will always have a heart — a warm spot in our hearts. We’ll forever be proud of it, but we’re not going to continue it. We’re not going to make new expansions, which everybody is expecting us to do. We’re not going to make Baldur’s Gate 4, which everybody is expecting us to do. We’re going to move on, we’re going to move away from D&D, and we’re going to start making a new thing,” he said.

Michael Douse, director of publishing at Larian, confirmed the news in a post on X (formerly Twitter). “Had a lot of time to reflect on this incredible adventure as everyone has, and I can’t explain how excited I am for the next. Hope you join us for that!” he wrote.

Vincke spoke more about the decision with Gamespot. He explained that he initially wanted to make more Baldur’s Gate, but decided against it.

“That’s not what we were made for,” Vincke said. “That’s literally the opposite of what Larian is about. We want to do big, new things. We don’t want to rehash the thing that we’ve done already.”

All of this doesn’t mean Larian won’t continue to work on Baldur’s Gate 3. Just last month, Douse announced that the team would be working on a “cross-platform plan for mod support,” with implementation still many months away.

Hasbro, which owns Wizards of the Coast, recognized how successful Baldur’s Gate 3 was in its 2023 financial report released last month. It stated that much of Wizard of the Coast and digital gaming’s growth can be attributed to Monopoly Go!, Magic: The Gathering, and Baldur’s Gate 3. It’s also been a huge success critically, winning multiple awards. Just a day before the announcement, Baldur’s Gate 3 won four trophies at the Game Developers Choice Awards (also put on by GDC), including game of the year. It also won game of the year at The Game Awards in 2023.

Hasbro is therefore interested in growing its gaming output and leaning on the Baldur’s Gate franchise, as company CEO Chris Cocks mentioned in an earnings call to coincide with the report.

“2024 is about returning consumer products to profitability, investing for long-term momentum in games, and driving significant improvements in Hasbro’s bottom line [...] In short, we’re putting all the right pieces together to keep investing in our growth initiatives while expanding the ways our franchises reach fans through digital games,” Cocks said. “We expect a long tail into 2024 and beyond for this mega hit.

However, Wizards of the Coast was hit with layoffs right before Christmas 2023, massively impacting the D&D and Magic teams. This includes the team that helped with Baldur’s Gate 3, according to Vincke.

lol good for them. Its a shame they had to dip into this cursed property in the first place, but I hope they got some large bags of money and can go back to doing their own thing for a while



(article transcribed below)

The ambitious, yet flawed Alpha Protocol is available for purchase once again. The 2010 game, which was developed by Obsidian Entertainment and published by Sega, was removed from all platforms in 2019 because Sega’s music licensing rights had expired. The game is making a comeback as a DRM-free exclusive on GOG.com, available today for $19.99, with an additional 10% launch discount lasting through April 3.

What’s now available is a definitive edition, of sorts, containing all of its original music, as well as support for modern wireless controllers (including the DualSense, Switch Pro controller, and Xbox Series X controllers), text localization support for 8 languages, Windows 10 and 11 compatibility, and cloud save support. The game also sports achievements on GOG, which were previously only available on consoles. What this re-release of Alpha Protocol is not, however, is a remaster. The visuals and core game are unchanged. GOG.com produced a mini documentary on how it brought the game back, and I’ve embedded it at the top of the post.

Alpha Protocol’s return to an online game store is a rare thing to see in the news cycle, especially in 2024 when it’s more often to hear stories of the opposite happening. For instance, in early March, Warner Bros. Discovery surprised indie devs with the news that games published under its Adult Swim Games label would be “retired.”

Polygon reached out to Sega to see if it’s planning to bring this updated version of Alpha Protocol to more platforms, but it didn’t respond in time for publication.

"Ambitious yet flawed" is a fair description for Alpha Protocol. The game was basically "little fun things" sprinkled all along, from multiple interactions with characters depending on which path you take, both in narrative and in gameplay, as well as secrets all around.

The actual shooting and fighting was far from ideal, especially in bossfights, but the game still feels at least little unique to me for coming out with a "The US military industrial complex is fueling conflicts and supplying terrorists to keep its profits up" plot in the midst of so many CoD's "The arabs are evil and our brave soldiers need to keep the peace" stories