huge week with a ton of small fixes and improvements. extremely exciting stuff.
first, on activations: we’re floating around the cap again so, while we’re still doing daily activation batches, they’re smaller than they were previously. we’ve got some work in progress that will (hopefully) give us another boost in cohost Plus! subscriptions so we can start activating more users again.
more exciting news: starting in september, @jessfromonline will be joining the team part-time for the next few months! she’ll be focusing on bug fixes (she’s got a few in this week’s patch notes already!) so that colin and jae can focus entirely on Features and other big chunks of work. we’re thrilled to have the extra set of hands moving forward.
now, patch notes!
- changed where the post composer takes you after saving a post:
- draft? takes you to the drafts page
- everything else? takes you where you just were
- added a preview of where a manual “read more” will sit in the post composer
- changed the post editor and profile editor to warn you if you’re trying to leave without saving
- changed the behavior of the dashboard to only refresh when you ask for new posts, instead of refreshing continuously
- also fixed a bug that would alert you of Ghost Posts
- added a setting to hide the number of unread notifications in the sidebar
- you’ll just get a blank egg! further freedom from the tyranny of Numbers
- also: this is jess’s first change to the site! wow!
- changed the order of our
<head>tags to hopefully prevent the Flash of Unstyled Content common referred to as “purple cohost”
- every page has an actually useful
- single image posts no longer show the pagination eggs (or space for them) or thumbnails in the lightbox view
- changed the drafts page to no longer be tied to a specific page
- this prevents the issue where refreshing after switching your active page can cause an errorbug
- made some minor changes to post rendering to improve server performance
- this caused a scrolling bug with embeds so we also fixed that
- actually enforce display name limits on the server
- we appreciate that only one of you was exploiting this oversight and that it’s the user who reported it. thanks for your restraint.
- fix (we hope) the final instance of long display names breaking the page on mobile devices
- changed comments when logged out to prompt you to login, rather than the unhelpful “replies locked”
- fixed a bug where your browser might (unhelpfully) try to autocomplete unrelated fields in the profile editor
- fixed a bug where posts with tall embeds wouldn’t get an automatic “read more”
- fixed some spacing issues on follower and following lists
- added max size labels for avatars and header images on the profile editor
- made the cohost corner title and date clickable
- switched to tabular numbers for timestamps to prevent unexpected layout shifts
- updated the markdown reference to include single line breaks and instructions for preventing embed on a link
- www.cohost.org actually goes to cohost instead of a 404 page
that’s a lot! it feels like even more when it’s all written down like this!
here’s what’s coming up on cohost:
- improvements in performance to new posts propagating onto your timeline. this one should be landing soon.
- giving you the option to have multiple shares of the same post only show up in one post box on your dashboard!
- this has taken a while because there’s some UX questions we haven’t ironed out yet, and now that things are calming down after launch, we think we have the time to take care of that.
- the ability to gift cohost Plus! subscriptions!
- we’re making some decisions on how exactly we want this to work (it’s surprisingly complicated!) but the overall goal is for users to be able to gift subs to specific other users, or if they just want to give us more money (how thoughtful!) assign a gifted subscription to a random user
that’s all for this week! thanks for using cohost